Update your firmware through VirtualTraining
You can see the video by CycleOps for their trainers here.
Since OTA capabilities are done exclusively via Bluetooth, the CycleOps Hammer and Magnus trainers can be updated from VirtualTraining. While no subscription is needed to download the VirtualTraining desktop application, nor is one needed to update any firmware, a BlueGiga dongle and free VirtualTraining account are required to complete the update.
Why BlueGiga? We went this route because the Windows native Bluetooth integration is difficult to use and does not provide our customers with an easy-to-use, plug-and-play experience. Even if your PC sports Bluetooth integration, you will require the use of a BlueGiga dongle to perform updates as the dongle allows you to stay within the VirtualTraining application for the entire update processes and is far superior to the options that involved native Bluetooth.
Below are step-by-step instructions on how to update your CycleOps Magnus or Hammer firmware:
1. Open the VirtualTraining Application.
If you do not currently have the VirtualTraining desktop application, you can sign up for a free account and download it here. Please notice that VirtualTraining is for use with PC only, no Mac compatibility at this time.
2. Plug in the USB BlueGiga dongle to your computer.
3. Select Settings.
4. Select the Bike tab.
5. Turn on "Use BlueGiga Dongle instead of integrated Windows Bluetooth Manager."
6. Select “Select Trainer” and choose the CycleOps trainer that you want to update.
7. Select the sensor you want to update in the Bike tab by clicking on the trainer's name once it’s shown as connected.
8. Click Check firmware.
9. Click on the Update Firmware button.
10. Sit back and watch the magic happen.
** Please note that the Hammer and Magnus have sleep timers, so be sure that your trainer has not fallen asleep by giving it a spin and ensuring its blue indicator light is blinking prior to starting the update.